This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the team that manages and improves one of the busiest motorways in Europe – the M25.
We are looking for a Shift Manager to join us to work in Leatherhead (M25 DBFO Project).
* Management of a large team of Maintenance, Incident Support and Emergency Response Operatives on the M25 DBFO Network;
* Ensuring that all Operatives are thoroughly briefed on the works they are to undertake, conduct site visits to ensure staff are working safely, efficiently and effectively;
* Responsible for all aspects of people management of the directly employed workforce.
As a Shift Manager you will:
* Be responsible for the delivery of Zero Harm objectives by increasing our awareness of risks, driving risk mitigation, and leading by example to embed a proactive safety culture across Service Delivery and our supply chain;
* Support delivery of ‘Our Road to 2020’ Business Plan Objectives in Service Delivery by striving to meet their PDR objectives, and setting aligned and ‘SMART’ objectives for direct reports;
* Prepare and deliver suitable works briefings, which adequately identify the work methodology, highlight the onsite hazards & risks along with control measures to be implemented;
* Ensure that all work activities (both highways & structures) are adequately managed ensuring that the identified works methodology is adhered to and control measures are implemented in accordance with the briefing;
* Positively engage with directly employed and subcontract workforce to highlight issues with the methodology and / or identified control measures and together develop a solution which enables works to be completed in a safe and efficient manner;
* Ensure that a detailed debrief is completed for all works activities (both highways & structures) at the end of each shift so that any identified issues can be resolved and lessons learnt are fed into the delivery of future work activities;
* Take an active role in the compliance of Contractual requirements including Primary Response, Secondary Response, reactive & planned preventative maintenance, Environmental Protection Act 1990 and Severe Weather.
Personal Qualities and Experience:
* CSCS card holder – Supervisor;
* NVQ Level 3 in Highways Maintenance;
* Previous experience in highway maintenance on a live motorway or All Purpose Trunk Road (APTR) network;
* Knowledge and experience of Health, Safety, Environment and Quality standards within a highways context;
* Knowledge and experience of traffic management on high speed roads;
* Competent user of MS Word, Excel and Outlook (or equivalent);
* Current UK driving license;
* Knowledge and experience of Severe Weather and Incident Management;
* Proven experience of managing & leading multidisciplinary teams;
* The ability to communicate verbally with clarity and authority to engage operatives, colleagues and management;
* The ability to write clear and understandable briefings and handover notes, and keep full and accurate records.
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty is part of a consortium that comprises Connect Plus Services (CPS), together with Atkins and Egis Road Operations UK.
CPS has a 30-year contract with Connect Plus on behalf of Highways England. The contract, which started in September 2009, is to maintain and operate the M25 motorway network, including all adjoining trunk and slip roads, a network of 440km across six counties. CPS also has responsibility for the Dartford River Crossing in Kent, comprising both Dartford Tunnels and the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge.
With a staff of around 600 people, based at seven locations across the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance and whole-life management of the thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme. CPS is identifying ways of reducing delays and improving journey time reliability across its road network